[rescue] Re: [geeks] Crap! Not again...

Michael Free mfree80286 at adelphia.net
Sat Feb 1 15:25:17 CST 2003

I was under the impression that the shuttle's computer systems were pentuple
redundant... 5 systems concurrent, an odd number to avoid a "mexican
standoff". This was before the latest refit however, when the wiring was
replaced, I don't know if it still uses that many.

It sounds to me that a pinhole in the left wing slowly spread, severing
wires and sensors as it went, until it finally weakened the airframe enough
that it failed.

I'm listening to the NASA briefing at the moment, and they're currently
discounting the lost piece of foam as to damage to the tiles.

Mike Free