[rescue] I did not know that...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 30 08:08:39 CDT 2003

I have an Ultra 30 that had odd booting issues (mentioned previously on
this list), but I never got around to spending any "quality time" with
the machine.

Well, today I sat down, and noticed the following actions:

on power-up the screen would (seem to) cycle through several
resolution/refresh rates until it hit one the monitor liked, then

the screen had a yellow background, with

the banner info displayed (on a white background), and then

the memory test would proceed, and when it finished

the system just hung (for several hours, just to make sure it was not a
painfully slow self-diagnostic)

I tried a serial console, with the same results - only no yellow
background ;^)

I tried booting of CD-ROM - it just hung.

When hung, I could not stop-a to the "OK>" prompt, and "stop-n" had no
effect on the boot sequence.

So, I started to rip the machine apart (something not quite right), and
while I was in there I decided to pull the Creator FB in the unit, and
replace it with one of those cheap Elite 3D-M3 FB from afew months ago.

All is good, I'm re-installing Solaris 9 now.

I never knew a hosed framebuffer could have that effect on an otherwise
100% functional system...

=====
Lionel

"I am not into examining other peoples' dumps..." - Sheldon T. Hall