[rescue] IBM System/360/370 stuff

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Wed Aug 27 05:45:07 CDT 2003

vance at neurotica.com wrote:

> You might have a hard time finding a P/370, but I'd check with the people
> on P370-L, which is the list for the P/370, P/390, P/390E, IS/390, and MP
> systems.  It can be found on http://pucc.princeton.edu/.  It's primarily
> not frequented by hobbyists, but rather by professionals and resellers, so
> bear that in mind.
>
> > In the meantime, I've got Hercules for OS X and some CDs from
> > CBTTAPE.ORG on the way.. 8-)

There is an MVS Turnkey CD which includes everything you need to run
MVS 3.8. It comes precompiled for intel architechures, but you could
probably "make it work" for a Mac. It's one download of about 600meg.

If you have an old Intel box (Pentium or better), you could just install
it on that under linux. Once you've made an OSX version of the emulator,
you could move the disk images, etc.

The biggest problem that I see is that emulator or P/370, etc, the operating
systems cost real money and there are is no hobbyist program.

BTW, the one friend of mine that stayed an MVS systems programmer has been
out of work since February.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com 972-54-608-069