[rescue] analog routers...

Mike F lists at mikef.dyndns.org
Tue Aug 26 11:00:20 CDT 2003

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 11:43:13 -0400
Steve Sandau <ssandau at bath.tmac.com> wrote:

> <snip for Bill>
>
> > A PC is out because I want something headless, and if I got a PC it
> > would have to replace the current Sun system. No room or power for
> > another machine like that.
> >
> <snip>
>
> I think I remember instructions on how to install and use (yes,
> really) Linux on a headless PC. It involved a boot floppy that
> redirected boot info to the serial port. It will not, of course, let
> you get at the BIOS, but if you are interested I'll try to hunt up the
> link...

I've seen the same thing at least for OpenBSD (I think it's in
INSTALL.i386) but I think the issue is with starting out with a truly
headless PC, i.e. no video card at all. I've never tried it, so I
can't speak from experience, but apparently some (many?) PCs will not
boot without a video card present.

The serial console-based installation would be for the case where you
don't mind having a video card installed in the PC (just to satisfy the
dumb PC,) but you aren't interested in using it, or a monitor or
keyboard, for that matter.