[rescue] analog routers...

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Aug 26 00:41:05 CDT 2003

On Sun, Aug 24, 2003 at 10:34:46PM -0700, Robert Novak wrote:

> When I run out of other things to put off doing, I may try current BSD
> releases on SPARC and bench the serial port performance (if I can figure
> out a useful methodology). I still think a good serial driver can make the
> Sun ports work quite nicely, and I swear I remember reading that a SS2
> could do 78600 or 76800 full bore under Linux back when I still had a SS2
> running (mine was only Ethernet in practice, but it was reassuring news to
> read).

I got 76800 working on my SS5. It takes significant CPU resources to
maintain, and I wonder if it would even work if the machine had a load
on it.

It ran my DEC vt510 terminal at 76800, but I couldn't really do much at
the time to test reliability.

I kept meaning to null modem my two SS5's to see how reliable they are
at that speed, but never got around to it.

UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon at widomaker.com