[rescue] analog routers...

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Mon Aug 25 00:34:46 CDT 2003

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> --- Mike Meredith <mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 15:22:18 -0400 (EDT)
> > > I do not believe so... although I can only speak about the original
> > > SunPCi cards... I don't know about the SunPCi II cards.
> >
> > The later ones do have a seperate NIC although it doesn't have to be
> > used.

And you could probably use the USB as well, for serial or ethernet or
both. That would work even in the older ones (pre-600mhz).

> > I don't know why you'd want to do that though when Solaris makes a
> > perfectly adequate router itself. Must have missed something earlier
> > on.
>
> lack of high-speed seial in Sun offerings...

When I run out of other things to put off doing, I may try current BSD
releases on SPARC and bench the serial port performance (if I can figure
out a useful methodology). I still think a good serial driver can make the
Sun ports work quite nicely, and I swear I remember reading that a SS2
could do 78600 or 76800 full bore under Linux back when I still had a SS2
running (mine was only Ethernet in practice, but it was reassuring news to
read).

--Rob
Robert Novak - rnovak at indyramp.com