[rescue] Re: New Home Toys

laz at moaa.net laz at moaa.net
Mon Aug 25 20:11:35 CDT 2003

> >I picked up the machines on Saturday. The E5500 didn't have any disk bays
> >in it and I really don't have room for another refrigerator so I stripped
> >it for parts. I kept everything except for the cabinet sheet metal.
> >
> >The E3500 doesn't have any disks in it either so it looks like I get to
> >learn about FC-AL. I removed one of the Sbus I/O boards from the E3500 and
> >installed two of the CPU boards from the E5500. It now has 8x336 MHz CPUs
> >and 8GB RAM. The Sbus I/O boards all have Emulex LP9002S 2Gb/s FC boards on
> >them. I don't have anything to connect them to though. I do have an old Sun
> >RAID with a FC (25MHz?) interface that contains 30x2GB disks. Will this
> >connect to the FC ports on the 3500?
> >
> >Michael Thompson
> >E-Mail: M_Thompson at IDS.net

no, the SSA array that you have, (30x2gig disks) will not hook up to the
high speed FC-AL GBICs. but there is an sbus card that will talk to the SSA.
if you decide to not use FC-AL in the 3500, I'd be intereted in buying the
thin FC-AL interface board next to the power supply for my 3500.  Or I'd
trade a sbus card that will talk to the SSA.

Matt
laz at moaa.net