[rescue] analog routers...

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Aug 24 03:17:42 CDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 09:49:02PM -0700, Robert Novak wrote:

> Currently I'm using the SMC Barricade 7004AWBR, which is print server,
> wireless AP, firewall/router/switch, and modem server. I have a Courier
> v.Everything connected, and am dialing to Earthlink.

I could use something like that on a project I'm doing for some friends.

> The comment about needing graphics to use a PC was silly, by the way. (My
> old dialup router/firewall/server never needed graphics--good thing with a
> 9" vga display, in fact.)

The only thing silly about it, is the fact that PCs have this limitation in
the first place.

You still had to use graphics for the install, and you have to use it
any time you either cannot have serial console support, or the console
support fails for some reason.

> Almost as silly as suggesting a PC-based router
> when you want something appliancelike for the purpose.

I don't really want anything appliance-like, I just want something
small that works good, and I don't want a PC.

Ideally Sun would have made decent serial ports, and I'd not need a
thing.

UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon at widomaker.com