[rescue] analog routers...

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Fri Aug 22 23:49:02 CDT 2003

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, Shannon wrote:

> Any advice on what would be a good analog router?
>
> I need something cheap.
> So, I've been looking at analog routers.
> New, they are hideously expensive, even without modems, but I see prices I can
> handle on eBay.

I've used Intel's InBusiness 56k router--it was the first link for my
previous employer's new building before we got a network connection to the
old building. Paid $50 for it two years ago. I think it's in a box
somewhere.

Currently I'm using the SMC Barricade 7004AWBR, which is print server,
wireless AP, firewall/router/switch, and modem server. I have a Courier
v.Everything connected, and am dialing to Earthlink.

Downside to the SMC is you can't use it for AT&T Worldnet or any other
service that uses CHAP.

The comment about needing graphics to use a PC was silly, by the way. (My
old dialup router/firewall/server never needed graphics--good thing with a
9" vga display, in fact.) Almost as silly as suggesting a PC-based router
when you want something appliancelike for the purpose.

Weirdstuff had some 3-line modem routers (with a fourth serial port) that
converted to ethernet. Never tried the one I bought for $10 2 years ago,
but the concept seemed cool. They still have some, although the price has
probably gone up.

Rob
Robert Novak - rnovak at indyramp.com