[rescue] analog routers...

Brian Dunbar Brian.Dunbar at plexus.com
Fri Aug 22 23:07:26 CDT 2003

Shannon [mailto:shannon at widomaker.com] on Friday, August 22, 2003 6:25 PM
said;

> Any advice on what would be a good analog router?

> I need something cheap.

You can't get cheaper than the setup I used in Texas; all the equipment was
on-hand, little of it acutally purchased.  My wife's school _gave_ me the
Dell, it wasn't modern enough for 'em.

Dell OptiPlex 433
Netelligent Hub
3c50x NIC
Hayes 56k modem
FREESCO (stands for FREE ciSCO)

FREESCO is Linux based.  Firewall, router, DHCP, ftp, telnet services
available.  Boots from a floppy, setup is dead easy.  It talks to modems as
easily as NICs.  I used it for 2-3 years to share 2 machines at home over a
dialup connection.  I'm using it _now_ as a router/firewall at home to my RR
connection.

http://www.freesco.org/

~brian