[rescue] Re: SGI Onyx4 - uses ATI graphics chips (sigh)

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Fri Aug 22 22:44:48 CDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 08:14:57PM -0700, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> > >There's another point at issue here.
> > >
> > >Let's suppose, for the sake of argument, that the human eye can
> > >resolve 24 bits of color.  (I know I can tell the difference
> > > between 24-bit and 16-bit color.)
>
> Wait a minute, what are you saying?
>
> If you contend that you can resolve 24 bit color, then you are saying
> (as far as I know) that you can tell FF FF FF from FF FF FE (all Hex).
> If you can't then what do you mean by contending the human eye can
> resolve 24 bit color?

That is not precisely what I said.  Please read again, more carefully.

I said, "suppose, for the sake of argument, that the human eye can
resolve 24 bits of color", and "I know I can tell the difference between
24-bit and 16-bit color".  Those two statements are NOT equivalent to
either of "The human eye CAN resolve 24 bits of color" or "I personally
can resolve 24 bits of color".