[rescue] Re: SGI Onyx4 - uses ATI graphics chips (sigh)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 22 22:14:57 CDT 2003

--- "Curtis H. Wilbar Jr." <rescue at hawkmountain.net> wrote:
> display was displaying... not what amount of significant bits were
> used in processing ??? or is my memory dropping bits ?

I'm with you Curt...

> >There's another point at issue here.
> >
> >Let's suppose, for the sake of argument, that the human eye can
> >resolve 24 bits of color.  (I know I can tell the difference
> > between 24-bit and 16-bit color.)

Wait a minute, what are you saying?

If you contend that you can resolve 24 bit color, then you are saying
(as far as I know) that you can tell FF FF FF from FF FF FE (all Hex).
If you can't then what do you mean by contending the human eye can
resolve 24 bit color?

I would test that theory by having a field of one color (say all red,
in my example FF 00 00, for Red, Green and Blue), and in that filed,
draw a solid image of, say, a circle with a color that is one bit off
(say FE 00 00) - if you can see the image, you can resolve the
difference - if you can't, you can't.

=====
Lionel

"I am not into examining other peoples' dumps..." - Sheldon T. Hall