[rescue] analog routers...

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Aug 22 22:08:13 CDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 07:56:23PM -0400, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

>  Shannon wrote ...
>
> > Any advice on what would be a good analog router?
>
> Do you mean a dial-up router?

Um, sure.  I usually see them called analog router, but we are both talking
about the same thing.

Maybe... PPP over POTS router... :)

> > I've given up on every finding a fast serial port card for my Sun
> > gateway machine, and I can't afford to upgrade it for the
> > foreseeable future.
>
> [snip]
>
> In the past, I've used a PC for this, without any drama at all.  Primarily,
> I've used a DOS-based NAT/router program called IProute, which you can read
> about at http://www.insyte.com/iproute.html.  Even an old '386 without a
> hard drive will do for this, and IProute is both easy to set up and (as far
> as I can tell) quite secure.

I really don't want a PC for this. Serious work with any PC requires
graphics, and that just sucks, bad.

I have thought about it, but I can't afford anything I'd want to use
right now.  Size is a factor too.

UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon at widomaker.com