Noise and Hearing (was Re: [rescue] Re: Throw anotherpacketon the server...)

Daniel de Young daniel at velvetsea.com
Fri Aug 22 20:38:26 CDT 2003

>> You're quite the hearing protector "guru".

> I can't tell you how much it bugs me when I am working with someone
> and they tell customers bad information--especially when the person
> giving the info knows better (like sat through a class with me or
> whatever).
>
> This is also why I rarely talk to people who work in computer
> or other technical stores--they give you b.s. instead of telling
> you what they know and nothing more.  Of course, it was very
> shocking to find someone at Fry's[0] a while back that actually
> spoke intelligently about mobo's, CPUs and CPU coolers.  Scary.

I had a great conv with a Fry's employee about peecee power supplies
awhile back.  He actually had experience with several of the "quiet"
supplies and didn't recommend the most expensive product.  Suprising in
light of *every* other Fry's experience I've had.

>> I just have a set of mouse ears for the pistol range, but they're a
>> bit to
>> snug to use for 10 hours periods in the data center! :)
>
> Just get some disposable foam ear plugs--they will more than
> suffice for the DC.

Maybe one day I'll actually see the inside of a data center again :/

-Daniel