Noise and Hearing (was Re: [rescue] Re: Throw anotherpacket on the server...)

N.Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Fri Aug 22 20:32:35 CDT 2003

On Friday, August 22, 2003, at 03:11 PM, Daniel de Young wrote:

>> I'd certainly like to have a nice set of tactical/hunting
>> electronic ear plugs with two-way radio interface for shooting
>> as well as playing scenario paintball. ;-)  More geek toys for
>> the wish list.
>
> You're quite the hearing protector "guru".

I'm one of those people that if I am doing something for people,
I like to give them the full low-down.  Maybe this is why I can't
get into programming/scripting (too much of a neophyte, and just
don't have the 'hacker' urge)?  Part of why I am more attracted
to hardware and configuration than other "deeper" sys admin stuff,
too, I guess--I can hold the hardware stuff in my head better.

I can't tell you how much it bugs me when I am working with someone
and they tell customers bad information--especially when the person
giving the info knows better (like sat through a class with me or
whatever).

This is also why I rarely talk to people who work in computer
or other technical stores--they give you b.s. instead of telling
you what they know and nothing more.  Of course, it was very
shocking to find someone at Fry's[0] a while back that actually
spoke intelligently about mobo's, CPUs and CPU coolers.  Scary.

> I just have a set of mouse ears for the pistol range, but they're a
> bit to
> snug to use for 10 hours periods in the data center! :)

Just get some disposable foam ear plugs--they will more than
suffice for the DC.

=Nadine=

[0] Notorious in Silicon Valley for having people working there
that have zero clue about the stuff they are selling.