Noise and Hearing (was Re: [rescue] Re: Throw another packet on the server...)

David L Kindred (Dave) d.kindred at telesciences.com
Fri Aug 22 07:27:30 CDT 2003

    Bill> Yeah - you should hear some of the old U2s around here (work)
    Bill> though - a lot of the "noise" people complain about is old HDs
    Bill> whose bearings are going.. and we all know that *WHEEEEEE*
    Bill> sound a gradually-dying drive makes.

We have some old LX's with the 420 Meg drives that have been screaming
for several YEARS without ever actually failing.  The thing that scares
me is that in one of the server rooms YOU CAN'T HEAR THEM!  Can't be
good for long term expectations of hearing.

I know of the risks to hearing from some of my hobbies, but what about
from long term exposure to computer room noise?

--
David L. Kindred
Unix Systems & Network Administrator