[rescue] Re: Throw another packet on the server...

Paul Weissmann paul at doorslam.net
Fri Aug 22 02:44:46 CDT 2003

Bjorn Ramqvist [v53278 at g.haggve.se] wrote:
> Paul Weissmann wrote:
> >
> > You could get a Convex SPP1200 SMP-Cluster w/ 16 PA8000 CPUs for less
> > than $1000 here too, so no great deal.
> >
> > The latter is still a bit steep for my pockets though, but well, this
> > used to be called a massively-parallel supercomputer some moons ago
> > and now sells for about a decent PC/Mac.
>
> I suppose the PA8000 is more capable of moving bits than the
> PA7xxx-series, but it's fairly low-spec in the 8000-range.

Correct, the performance difference between the PA7x00 and PA8x00
CPU-cores is enormous, increased by huge L1-caches of the latter.

And actually, to correct myself, the machine in question was a
SPP2000 (aka HP V2200) with, as said, 16 PA8000 CPUs, went for about
EUR 900.

This machine actually runs stock HP-UX 11.x.

The SPP1200/XA is a different beast in a completely different, very
stylish casing. It has 8-128 PA7200 CPUs.

The SPP1200/CS is then actually a smaller version w/ less CPUs and
bandwith than the above.

	- paul

--
   zwei jaeger treffen sich. beide tot.