[rescue] Re: Throw another packet on the server...

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Aug 21 13:23:51 CDT 2003

On Thursday, August 21, 2003, at 02:06 PM, Geoff Koehler wrote:
> Well, I can only run the challenge XL in the wintertime when I can
> open the
> window (it can get to -40C in the winter here) :)  Between the
> Challenge and
> the power series racks there is enough noise that they are in a
> separate
> room.  Ive thought about putting an air-conditioner in the window for
> the
> summer, but that costs even more $.  Dave - how do you deal with the
> heat
> problem with your big machines??

   I haven't run the Cray all that much since I've lived here, due to
lack of fundage.  They were the worst offenders heat-wise.  Up in
Maryland when I was running the J90 full time, I had an 18,000 BTU air
conditioner handling the machine room.

   Here (AS500, AS800, AS4100, box full of FC-AL disks, rackmount
Ultra60 with lots of disks, E450, a couple Netra-X1s, a couple Ultra1s,
and a Cat5000 running full-time in the machine room) I have an 8000 BTU
air conditioner handling them.  Barely.  Upgrading that is very high on
my priority list.

   It never really gets cold enough here to make use of "mother nature"
air conditioning.

          -Dave