[rescue] Re: Throw another packet on the server...

Geoff Koehler koehler at shaw.ca
Thu Aug 21 13:06:01 CDT 2003

on 8/21/03 10:46 AM, Dave McGuire at mcguire at neurotica.com wrote:

> On Thursday, August 21, 2003, at 09:04 AM, Linc Fessenden wrote:
>>> Nah, just use an SGI anything for example an octane, turn it on and
>>> just
>>> let it sit there doing nothing but display the login prompt, leave
>>> your
>>> room let a few minutes pass, go back into your room and feel the
>>> warmth.
>>>
>>> I have an octane in my room, and all I can say is Jesus H Tapdancing
>>> Christ it is not only loud as hell, but I can heat a hole house with
>>> it! I
>>> had to use it the past week and the room was unbearable even with open
>>> windows and fans running...
>>
>> You guys are crazy..  Try running a decstation 5000/240 and an
>> alphastation 3000/400 for a while.  They sound like friggin jet engines
>> and easilly put out more heat than my furnace.  My octane pales in
>> comparison.  I find it to be actually a cool running machine.  You can
>> fry
>> an egg (literally) on that alphastation.  I burnt my arm once leaning
>> over
>> it to turn it off.
>
> Yeah Linc, these guys are lightweights.
>
> That's right up there with the "this tiny machine is OH SO LOUD!!"
> crowd...for tiny, barely audible machines.
>
> -Dave
>
> --
> Dave McGuire                 "You don't have Vaseline in Canada?"
> St. Petersburg, FL                     -Bill Bradford

Well, I can only run the challenge XL in the wintertime when I can open the
window (it can get to -40C in the winter here) :)  Between the Challenge and
the power series racks there is enough noise that they are in a separate
room.  Ive thought about putting an air-conditioner in the window for  the
summer, but that costs even more $.  Dave - how do you deal with the heat
problem with your big machines??

--
Cheers,   Geoff.

Geoff Koehler