[rescue] Upgrading Sun SCSI disks

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Wed Aug 20 14:58:54 CDT 2003

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Todd Killingsworth wrote:

> Hello everyone -
>
> I'm trying to outfit my E3000 with some new disks.  Are there any gotchas to
> be aware of?

Use only SCA SCSI disks on the internal backplane, half-height or smaller.
:)

I've used 3-4 kinds of 9gb (including the unbearably cheap ST/SX19171WC),
a few 18s and a couple of 36s, and even some hitachi oem 72s. No problems
at all. No Sun firmware issues. Solaris 8 and 9.

> Can I use any single-ended Ultra 1 SCSI disk, or should I stick to the
> manufacturers and models mentioned in Sunsolve?
> Sunsolve only mentions drives up to 18.2 G specifically for E3000.

Should be able to use almost any single-ended or LVD SCSI disk. You won't
exceed 20MB/sec if I recall correctly (definitely no better than 40MB/sec
if it has uwscsi onboard, which I don't think it does), but you can run
LVD disks unjumpered quite nicely.

Check your cooling load... you want all fans installed if you're using a
shload of disks. Might not be *required* but would probably be a good
idea.

--Rob
Robert Novak - rnovak at indyramp.com