[rescue] u2 drive trays

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Aug 20 00:41:05 CDT 2003

On Wednesday, August 20, 2003, at 01:35 AM, Michael Schiller wrote:
>>>    You can build things like the MAE-East.
>>
>> .. in your living room! 8-)
>>
>> MAE-Dave
>
> Pardon my ignorance, but what is MAE-East? (or should I say MAE)?

   Here's a message that I sent to another listmember earlier today when
asked the same question.  In thinking about it further I think it was
in DC and not Virginia (bit rot in the brain), but:

   Metropolitan Area Ethernet.  Built by MFS (Metro Fiber Systems), it
was basically the predecessor to the NAPs on the east coast.  There was
also the MAE-West but it wasn't quite as big.  This was post-NSFnet.
The MAE-East was a GIGAswitch located at the MFS facility in Virginia.
Virtually all the "big" providers bought fast pipes into that building
and jacked in.

   The GIGAswitch was equipped with FDDI interfaces.  The providers
would get a beefy BGP-capable router (mostly Cisco 7000 and AGS+ boxes
at the time), put it in the MFS facility, run a leased line into one
interface, and a FDDI cable to the MAE-East GIGAswitch from another
interface.

              -Dave