[rescue] u2 drive trays

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Tue Aug 19 04:36:11 CDT 2003

> Exactly.  It's a *switch*.  My FDDI switch gets 800Mbps.  FDDI is rated to
> 100Mbps.  You should be able to get 100Mbps on ethernet with a hub.  It
> just doesn't work.

Yes that is correct, in switched ethernet you still get plenty of
collisions (ergo contention) between nodes, since even though
theoretically you are establishing a point to point connection, there is
no provision to ensure that any of the two ports involved try to use the
bus at the same time. FDDI has a tokened approach, so no contention is
possible since one of the ends seizes the bus and the other end is aware
of that.