[rescue] Do you remember when? Security software.....

N.Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Thu Aug 14 15:20:07 CDT 2003

On Thursday, August 14, 2003, at 11:21 AM, Kevin wrote:
> Some people seem to believe that showing up a crumpled Iron
> Maiden shirt and torn jeans is OK, because "it's them", and i
> happen to believe otherwise.

I guess some people also don't mind telling the world
they are stuck in the past on rock bands and too lazy
to buy fashionable jeans, too. ;-)

I mean, come on, how about baggy Fubu jeans, DC shoes,
and a System of a Down shirt--that would be a personal
statement.

(Yes, sarcasm.)

I've been trying to have a discussion about career management
with one of my buddies that is still employed, but worried
about his job.  He is the only guy left supporting his lab,
and his director doesn't think he does anything.  I keep
telling him he's got to get out more and "press the flesh"
so-to-speak, so he has more visibility--he needs to get his
users to talk him up, let people know that he's solving
problems and keeping things running.

IT folks can be quite clueless about how to interact with
management, be it in terms of the business attire expected
or how to manage your perception within a group.

While I certainly appreciate Dave's viewpoint about suits
(both the people and the clothing), not everyone has the
will or the option to reject standards put upon them out
of principle.  It's an individual's job to evaluate and
decide.  But the kicker is, if you want to keep or get a
job these days, you have to at least think about these
things and learn what your options are.  You can't just
blithely go on with the "good IT geeks are scarce" notion
that allowed us to get away with a lot of stuff back in
1999.

Evaluate what you can put up with and learn to cope.  Geeks
excel at learning--doesn't hurt to learn the suits' system
and turn it to your own favor.

=Nadine=