[rescue] Do you remember when? Security software.....

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Thu Aug 14 15:12:57 CDT 2003

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 03:11:53PM -0400, Kevin wrote:
> There are definitely those guys out there, in fact
> there are some within walking distance from my office
> door, but they are not all that way, i'm certainly not,
> although i reserve the right to my special opinions
> when if i see someone coming into work with no shoes as
> someone mentioned earlier.  I don't trust the woodstock
> look and more than you trust suits.  Perhaps we're both
> prejudiced bastards :)

This reminds me of an anecdote.

I used to work at a software company that was sort of laid-back-but-neat
on the whole, but there was this one engineer with a big full beard, and
long hair in a braid halfway down his back, and holed jeans, and scruffy
T-shirts, and sandals.  He looked like the Last of the Flower Children.
He had an open office next to mine, with a bookcase next to the corridor
with everything from C manuals to a copy of the Kama Sutra in it.  And
mostly he just sat there and did his job, and smiled a lot, and got
funny looks from visiting customer execs.

But then just occasionally, there'd be a technical meeting with a
customer, and they'd look at him in the meeting, just sitting back and
listening and not saying amything, and you could see them thinking,
"What's that guy doing in here?"

Then at some point during the meeting, he'd lean forward and speak about
one or two sentences.  And they'd open their mouths to start to toss off
a quick retort, then they'd just sort of stop and trail off, and sit
there looking like poleaxed steers as the significance of what he'd just
said sunk in.

And from then on, they knew why he was there, and they never looked at
him funny any more, and they always asked for him by name to attend the
meetings.