[rescue] Do you remember when? Security software.....

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Aug 14 12:53:42 CDT 2003

On Thursday, August 14, 2003, at 01:09 PM, Kevin wrote:
> The truth about me is a suit.  I wear them often, even
> when not forced.  Hell, i've done security audits in
> french cuffs.  If it's not you, so be it, there's
> nothing wrong with that.  I just get pissed off when
> people think that their actually IS something wrong
> with me wearing a suit.
>
> And i'm not 100% buying into this "deceiving people"
> point of view.  By your logic, i suppose women should
> never wear makeup?

   Different logic, though the difference is subtle.

   Women wear makeup in order to hide "imperfections" and "improve" (for
varying definitions) their appearance.  Many people who wear suits to
work (and I say many, not all) do it because they've been trained that
they're "supposed" to...but nobody can quite explain why.  Not because
they want to, not because they're more comfortable, and not because it
makes them look or feel better...but in order to conform to someone
else's idea of "business"[0].

   In other words...for a bogus reason.

          -Dave

[0] - Which is quite silly.  Years and years ago, ties were originally
cheap pieces of cloth that were tucked into a shirt to protect it from
dribbles while eating, as shirts were expensive.  You put on your tie
before coming down to the dinner table.  So all these little VPs and
salesdroids all proud of their "power ties" and such nonsense, to those
who know what's up, don't look like they're "ready for business"...they
look like they're ready for dinner.