[rescue] Fair Warning RPC Worm

N.Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Thu Aug 14 11:46:16 CDT 2003

On Thursday, August 14, 2003, at 06:16 AM, Kevin wrote:

> That's what local admin group is, the admin account for
> *that* box.
>
> We've done that here (put the user's domain account
> into the local admin group) but i'm considering
> changing that policy.  I'd rather have the users in
> "kiosk mode".  I have to install all their software
> anyway, may as well remove that ability from their
> account.  As it is, they are getting all kinds of shit
> installed like Comet Cursor and Gator.  If they lacked
> the ability to write to the registry then i wouldn't
> have to deal with that crap.  Pus, they couldn't
> install AOL, RealPlayer, any silly clock bullshit or
> that f**king waving flag thing or the blinking
> Christmas lights or..........

Sounds like you need Novell's Zen, the BOFH's wet
dream for dealing with Windows boxes.

If the user installs anything, when the server polls the
client and checks the db and finds something new,
it automagically deletes the whatever was installed.
And, it's granular, so you can allow some clients to
install some types of things, but not others.

Just another example of Novell having a good product
and not marketing it properly.

=Nadine=