[rescue] Do you remember when? Security software.....

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Aug 14 10:56:38 CDT 2003

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 10:23:26AM -0400, Andrew Weiss wrote:

> Anything from your khakis and polo shirt with nice shoes up to and
> including an inexpensive (not cheap/badly styled) suit.

Oh, there is definitely a difference between cheap and inexpensive.  It
seems that most people pick cheap.

If I wore a suit, there is a local store which makes some that look
OK. They look almost like suits from the 40s, and they will custom fit
for free, or do other clothing for a decent price. Old business, been
downtown for decades.

Even though I don't wear a suit, I can go in there and get tailoring for
pants and shirts, and they *always* know exactly what will fit, and what
will last, even jeans and denim. They used to carry *excellent* polo
shirts of heavy fabric, but not any more.

Shops like this are dying though... how many places are left where you
can take a pair of jeans, khakis, and a shirt... and have them expertly
tailored?

> An Armani suit or a Tux is overkill...

We had scads of Armani-clad people in the financial district where I
used to work. It was amazing to see people with clothing that cost more
than my car. Then again, my car is worth about $2000... :)

> likewise I don't think anyone would hire someone in a T-shirt and
> jeans that looked like they were pulled out of a laundry basket
> (wrinkled to the max), especially if the person doesn't pay attention
> to personal hygiene.

I still cannot believe the people that show up "less than clean", bad
oral hygene, fresh lungfull of smoke, insufficient deodorant, wrinkled
suits...

Even when I wear jeans, they are clean.

My problems is finding clothing that is also strong enough to take my
abuse of it.

All of you know that when working with computers, you end up carrying
tools and getting on the floor, in the ceiling, etc.

And that's just if you are a programmer... :)

> P.S. ... you know you're a geek when every time you see Armani Exchange
> logos you think of AIX

Years ago, we were making jokes in the computer room about the Armani
logos that were showing up. A new coworker finally said he wanted to see
one of them. He thought were were talking about some kind of mainframe.

I suppose he was thinking of Amdahl?

UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon at widomaker.com