[rescue] Do you remember when? Security software.....

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 13 05:54:32 CDT 2003

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 22:42:36 -0400
Michael Schiller <schiller at agrijag.com> wrote:
> Well, never having worked at a 'large 24/7' datacenter, I wonder how
> much different is it REALLY from a smaller datacenter?

It takes longer to walk to the far end.

> And how much
> different is working in a smaller datacenter from working on your home
> network of various Unix machines? So by extension, how much different
> is it from working in a large 24/7 datacenter, and working on a home
> network?

You don't get slowed down by PHB's asking fool questions like 'how long
is it going to be down?' at home. Seriously I guess the main difference
is that you have to be more prepared to rollback changes, or not try
changes in the first place if they aren't looking good.

Last time someone asked me whether I was familiar with large
datacentres, I said I certainly wasn't. But I was familar with running
the kind of computers found in large datacenters which was what they
were really looking for.

No I didn't get the job.

> datacenter? Considering the machines involved, would I really be lying
> if I said I was in charge of a datacenter running Sun servers?

I'd put that down as a small white lie.