[rescue] Do you remember when? Security software.....

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Tue Aug 12 22:54:42 CDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 10:42:36PM -0400, Michael Schiller wrote:

> On Tuesday, August 12, 2003, at 02:56  PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>
> > The market's full of these.  The variant which has repeatedly bitten me
> > is that you cannot get a job working in a large 24/7 datacenter until
> > you have experience working in a large 24/7 datacenter.
>
> Well, never having worked at a 'large 24/7' datacenter, I wonder how
> much different is it REALLY from a smaller datacenter? And how much
> different is working in a smaller datacenter from working on your home
> network of various Unix machines? So by extension, how much different
> is it from working in a large 24/7 datacenter, and working on a home
> network?

My point exactly.  Hell, this is WHY I got my E3000 -- I wanted hands-on
experience on enterprise-class hardware.  (A Cisco 75xx would have been
nice, too, if I had anything to connect it to.)

But just try telling that to HR droids.  It doesn't matter how much the
technical people agree with you, because you can't get the interview
unless you're willing to lie on your resume.

> I mean I've had an SC2000, an SS1000's, a 4/670,  U1's, U30's , various
> sparcstations all networked together with either FDDI and/or ethernet
> (at one point I had both running to all machines), all running Solaris.
> Would I really have a problem working in a large 24/7 datacenter?

I don't think so.  You clearly don't think so.  Convincing HR is another
matter though.

> Considering the machines involved, would I really be lying if I said I
> was in charge of a datacenter running Sun servers?

Hmm.  You have a certain point there....