[rescue] Do you remember when? Security software.....

Daniel de Young daniel at velvetsea.com
Wed Aug 13 01:31:11 CDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-08-12 at 22:19, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:

> Well if you had bothered to read my post :)... There is no real
> justification for shipping a lot of those jobs besides pure greed, and I
> do not believe the Indians or Chinese are to blaim. More and more American
> CEOs should be held accountable for this. Personally I would pass a law
> that if a company shipps N% of their workforce overseas, at least N% of
> the executive workforce should also be outsourced too. Sounds simple to
> me, if you wanna move American jobs overseas, ALL job descriptions have to
> be shipped.... Also if you have to lay off X% of your workfoce by whatever
> reason, then the CEO has also take a X% cut of his salary. :)

Fun to joke about :), but IMHO, regulation (and taxes) is the *major*
factor in driving jobs overseas.  I don't see how we can regulate
business into keeping jobs here.  When you tell a person he can't to
something, what does he spend most of his waking hours trying to find a
way of doing?  What we need is a way to encourage business to keep jobs
here.  Incentives work far better than regulations.  It's simple human
nature.  However, with a press that loves to push the philosophy of tax
breaks for people who don't pay taxes (just to rally votes) and "end
corporate welfare", not to mention a population that increasingly thinks
it's "owed" something because it exists, it's unlikely that the US will
be saved from total economic implosion.

I will never buy the "evil corporation" theory.  Management teams are
obligated to make numbers or the board will kick them to the pavement.
Anybody who thinks that a corporation ships off jobs just to be assholes
is missing the point.  Unfortunately, people feel powerless to enact
change and wind up voting for people who's sole mission in life is to
transfer their voting base's economic strife into the pockets of
business.  Business in turn transfers it back to all the working stiffs
and eventually leaves the state or even country and then there is less
working stiffs... so they go back to business and the whole cycle starts
over.  It's sick really.

My 2 cents.

-Daniel