[rescue] looking for a Multia

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Tue Aug 12 14:19:39 CDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 03:10:03PM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> Is your employer willing to give you connectivity to enable you to work
> remotely?  And if so, how far are you from work?  You might ask if
> they'd let you install something like a WaveRider wireless link.

I'm several miles from work.  Maybe 10?  It takes me about 25 minutes of
stop and go traffic mostly on 40 mph roads to get from home to work.
WaveRiders and the like are only good for 2 miles or so, aren't they?
Or an I neglecting something?  If I am, please let me know, because I'm
not far (5 minutes drive, maybe 2-3 miles, but not line of sight either)
from someone with a nice DSL connection (and I'm sure I could also
convince them to install a second line for a second connection, or
consider cable as well).

> Dude, I have sent literally *thousands* of resumes over the past two
> years.  I can count the replies on my fingers[1].  Employers don't
> respond to applications any more.  If you don't fit the buzzwords,
> you're noise muddying what they think is the signal, and worthy of no
> more consideration.

Oh, and did I mention I have not a single certification (except to the
extent that a B.S. counts as a cert)?

The company that I now work at, I didn't find them.  They found me.  I
got an email out of the blue (not in response to a resume posting
online, or a direct mailed or email resume) asking me if I was still
looking for a job and if so, could I send them a resume.  I suspect that
someone talked to someone I knew, like perhaps a professor.  I've yet to
get around to establishing how they were led to me.