[rescue] Do you remember when? Security software.....

N.Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Tue Aug 12 12:43:25 CDT 2003

On Tuesday, August 12, 2003, at 09:10 AM, Kevin Loch wrote:

> Joshua Snyder wrote:
>> This reminds me of a Tech Support we got at work one time.  The call
>> came
>> in and it was the NSA.  The call went something like this...
>> Them: Hi I am <insert name> from the NSA and I am have a problem with
>> one of your products.
>> Us: Ok can you tell me what product you have?
>> Them: No.
>> Us: No what?
>> Them: I can't tell you what product I have.
>> Us: OK... well, what problem are you having?
>> Them: I can't tell you that either.
>> Us: But you are having a problem?
>> Them: Yes.
>> Us: Ok...

$JOB-3 was an SGML software and consulting company.  My boss's story
went like this.  US Navy calls and says, we want you to develop a DTD
(Document Type Definition) for us--the Army has one that is exactly
what we need but we can't use it because it's publicly published.  My
boss, her boss, and the other consultant (from Australia [0]) go on
site.  They are in a room which faces San Diego Naval station's harbor
[1], with several officers and a bunch of "made up" documents which are
structured the same as the "real" documents.

They start working on the DTD development, and begin asking questions
about the documents to make sure everything is covered.  At one point,
they ask a question which requires simply "yes" or "no" as an answer.
The three are asked to step out of the room.  About 45 minutes go by,
they are called back in, and the lead officer says "yes". :-)

Then there was the radiation protocol (nuclear subs and aircraft
carriers) and the rules about the "yellow line".

=Nadine=

[0]Because the third consultant was from Australia, a non-NATO country,
she was escorted *everywhere* by and armed MP, even into the restroom.
It's suspected that this consultant was also strip-searched every day
when they came onto base, as the MPs isolated her and took her into a
separate room for 15 minutes, but my boss never found out for sure.

[1]The shutters on the windows were closed every day at a certain time
even though the area visible from the conference room was visible from
any rooftop around the base with a pair of binoculars.