[rescue] Total corporate madness (

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Aug 12 09:47:10 CDT 2003

On Sun, Aug 10, 2003 at 03:38:30PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:

> >Which release was that?
>
> It wasn't a release, it was a CVS branch.

Of course it was a release... all NetBSD CVS branches have a release,
unless you got this from unofficial sources.

Like maybe der Linden's i386 SMP branch, which merged with NetBSD in
October 2002.

> >It felt pretty chunky and inefficient compared to Linux or FreeBSD when
> >I ran it on a dual PPro.
>
> Sure...it was brand new stuff.  I didn't say it was the
> fastest/smoothest SMP implementation in OS history, did I?  No.  I said
> it was production-quality-stable, which it was.

Current SMP is not, so that's why I got curious about what you were
running.  You either used something no one else has, or the improvements
for 1.6 are causing growing pains.

> It was a CVS branch about three years ago.  Did I *SAY* it was a
> "release"?  No.

I think you know what I mean.

>   Am I just in a mood today, or are you really picking apart things I
> didn't even say?

No, its definitely your problem today.