[rescue] Total corporate madness (

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Aug 10 14:38:30 CDT 2003

On Sunday, August 10, 2003, at 02:39 PM, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>>   That was true maybe three years ago.  NetBSD was
>> production-quality-stable on SMP x86 machines 2.5 years ago.
>
> Which release was that?

   It wasn't a release, it was a CVS branch.

> What I read from the NetBSD developers was that 1.6 would be an SMP
> learning phase, and that it basically isn't ready for prime-time.

   That's nice.  I beat the shit out of it and it never so much as
burped.  I wasn't quoting the NetBSD developers, I was stating from my
experience running the software.

> It felt pretty chunky and inefficient compared to Linux or FreeBSD when
> I ran it on a dual PPro.

   Sure...it was brand new stuff.  I didn't say it was the
fastest/smoothest SMP implementation in OS history, did I?  No.  I said
it was production-quality-stable, which it was.

> NetBSD 1.6.1 doesn't support SMP on i386... can't remember why yet, but
> you had to go to -current to get SMP.
>
> I'd like to know what release you thought was
> productional-quality-stable.

   It was a CVS branch about three years ago.  Did I *SAY* it was a
"release"?  No.

   Am I just in a mood today, or are you really picking apart things I
didn't even say?

         -Dave