[rescue] Total corporate madness (

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Aug 10 13:39:32 CDT 2003

On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 01:15:35PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   That was true maybe three years ago.  NetBSD was
> production-quality-stable on SMP x86 machines 2.5 years ago.

Which release was that?

What I read from the NetBSD developers was that 1.6 would be an SMP
learning phase, and that it basically isn't ready for prime-time.

It felt pretty chunky and inefficient compared to Linux or FreeBSD when
I ran it on a dual PPro.

FreeBSD wasn't very good either until recently.

In 2000, FreeBSD got access to BSDI's SMP code, but I don't know how
much was integrated.

NetBSD 1.6.1 doesn't support SMP on i386... can't remember why yet, but
you had to go to -current to get SMP.

I'd like to know what release you thought was
productional-quality-stable.