[rescue] Questions about SunOS 4.1.4

William Barnett-Lewis wlewis at mailbag.com
Sat Aug 9 19:32:12 CDT 2003

> >From: William Barnett-Lewis <wlewis at mailbag.com>
> >
> >I'm getting my hands on an IPX and was thinking silly thoughts of using
> >this copy of 4.1.4 I have sitting here. This is just for the fun of it
> >and to perhaps play with sunview.
> >
> >Did this version still include a CC? And which version of gcc will
> >compile for this old a beast? I figure once I get gcc up, then I'm ok
> >for the rest of the necessities (emacs, perl, etc).
>
> It includes cc.

Helpful.

> The newest version of gcc should work to the best of my knowledge
> (I don't believe they have removed support for SunOS 4.X).

Well, that's what I thought but I wasn't sure if I would need to start
with something like CC to GCC 1.4 and then up the food chain to 2.95 or
3.x.

> Other than patching for security, SunOS 4.X is a very stable and quick
> OS.

I found an FTP site with all the known patches... That should be
interesting to install. OTOH, better this than anything from Redmond...
;'O

> When I worked for Sun, the guy responsible for tracking internal migration
> to Solaris 2.X for primary desktop systems gave up on me and recorded that
> I was running Solaris when I was really still running 4.1.3.  I had Solaris
> 2.3 dev build running on my secondary machine.

Heh. Now that I like. IIRC, 4.1.4 was also Solaris 1.1.1 and the last of
the line? That's half the reason for wanting to play with it for me.
Plus being older (aka lighter wieght) is a plus on an IPX too. My first
Sun was an IPX that I ran Solaris 7 on. I expect this to be a bit
snappier... <WEG> (I was smart enough to stay in OW the whole time. That
wasn't bad really. I have a soft spot for OLWM as a result.)

> -- Curt

Thanks,
William
--
REGIME CHANGE STARTS AT HOME... Draft General Clark for President
http://www.draftwesleyclark.com/