[rescue] Questions about SunOS 4.1.4

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Sat Aug 9 19:06:04 CDT 2003

>From: William Barnett-Lewis <wlewis at mailbag.com>
>
>I'm getting my hands on an IPX and was thinking silly thoughts of using
>this copy of 4.1.4 I have sitting here. This is just for the fun of it
>and to perhaps play with sunview.
>
>Did this version still include a CC? And which version of gcc will
>compile for this old a beast? I figure once I get gcc up, then I'm ok
>for the rest of the necessities (emacs, perl, etc).

It includes cc.

The newest version of gcc should work to the best of my knowledge
(I don't believe they have removed support for SunOS 4.X).

Other than patching for security, SunOS 4.X is a very stable and quick
OS.

When I worked for Sun, the guy responsible for tracking internal migration
to Solaris 2.X for primary desktop systems gave up on me and recorded that
I was running Solaris when I was really still running 4.1.3.  I had Solaris
2.3 dev build running on my secondary machine.

-- Curt