[rescue] What to do with those USB "pen" drives...

vance at neurotica.com vance at neurotica.com
Sat Aug 9 12:07:34 CDT 2003

On Sat, 9 Aug 2003, Frank Van Damme wrote:

> > As far as booting from a CDROM, yeah - most x86 boxen made at that
> > time were perfectly capable of booting from CD.
>
> I have several pentium 1 boxen not capable of booting from a cdrom, and
> I have never known of any 486's who were. Maybe the PS/2 was ahead of
> its time, I don't know.

The PS/2 handled all booting on adapter firmware.  Many PS/2's had
processor/bus arbiter/ROM on a daughtercard.  They were completely
plug-and-play and were the first PC's with shared interrupts, and without
that ugly second-level-interrupts structure.  That's a bit ahead of their
time, I think.

Peace...  Sridhar