[rescue] What to do with those USB "pen" drives...

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Sat Aug 9 10:29:35 CDT 2003

On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 16:33:25 +0200
Frank Van Damme <frank.vandamme at student.kuleuven.ac.be> wrote:

> On Saturday 09 August 2003 16:28, Kurt Huhn wrote:
>
> > I swiped a lot of stuff from Trinux to handle the tgz extraction,
> > which were mostly based on Slackware (IIRC).  It was all preexisting
> > there. Some stuff got mounted into a ramdisk, but other stuff was
> > read as-is off of the CD.  The Zip disk was used for /home.
>
> I see... but the stuff read from cd wasn't uncompressed on the fly?

Some was.  It was a rather ugly - an amalgam of tgzs, compressed files,
uncompressed files, etc.  I'm not saying that it was anywhere near as
elegant as Knoppix or whatever, but only that the idea isn't a new one.

> > As far as booting from a CDROM, yeah - most x86 boxen made at that
> > time were perfectly capable of booting from CD.
>
> I have several pentium 1 boxen not capable of booting from a cdrom,
> and I have never known of any 486's who were. Maybe the PS/2 was ahead
> of its time, I don't know.

Yeah, dunno.  Worked great for me.  Most of the x86 systems that I was
working on at the time were Compaq, HP, and Dell.  Most, if not all,
were perfectly capable.

--
Kurt              hey politician, your lies are gonna get you
kurt at k-huhn.com   chickens comin' home to roost in the white house