[rescue] Ultra 5

Frank Van Damme frank.vandamme at student.kuleuven.ac.be
Fri Aug 8 16:45:06 CDT 2003

On Friday 08 August 2003 23:38, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, Frank Van Damme wrote:
> > I finally got myself some decent Sun workstation. The beauty/beast in
> > question has a 270 MHz ultrasparc 2 cpu, 128 megabytes ram and a 4.3 gig
> > disk.
>
> Yay!  Those are neat little sun4u starter systems.  You'll have a lot of
> fun with it.

That's what I bought it for ;-)

(no, there are no mammoth-sized dumpsters around here full of stuff from
companies who think their nearly-new SGI's and Suns deserve a better home
with a sane geek then in the hands of their own staff).

> > But, an ultra5 has IDE... so I could just put in a cdrom drive I've been
> > using in a pc for some years now.
>
> Yep.
>
> Nope.
>
> Yep.
>
> Yep.
>
> Perhaps, but every one I've tried has worked just fine.

Perfect.

> > I'd rather not smoke the Sun.
>
> You'd find a hard time finding Zig-Zags big enough for that. :)

It looks sturdy, yes :) . However, I wouldn't risk standing on top of it,
which wasn't a problem with my ss2 :-)

--
Frank Van Damme    http://www.openstandaarden.be