[rescue] Ultra 5

Frank Van Damme frank.vandamme at student.kuleuven.ac.be
Fri Aug 8 16:11:48 CDT 2003

Hi,

I finally got myself some decent Sun workstation. The beauty/beast in question
has a 270 MHz ultrasparc 2 cpu, 128 megabytes ram and a 4.3 gig disk. And, it
appears to be running an old SunOS version which stops booting after starting
some system services (ypbind etc). So I thought about installing Solaris 9
(educational license - it's good to be a student). There seem to be 2 means
to install Solaris for a single system - from cdrom or dvd or from the
network. Network installation supposes an allready-installed Solaris system
as far as I can judge from docs.sun.org - the other option being cdrom
installation, there's the problem the thing doesn't have a cdrom drive.

But, an ultra5 has IDE... so I could just put in a cdrom drive I've been using
in a pc for some years now. Before I whack it in. Is there anything be
cautious for? Is it just a matter of plugging in a Standard Ide Cable (got
meters of those) and plonking in a cdrom drive? I guess I'd just jumper the
thing to master and try "boot cdrom". Or are there still incompatibilities
with certain PC cdromdrive models? I'd rather not smoke the Sun.

--
Frank Van Damme    http://www.openstandaarden.be