[rescue] What to do with those USB "pen" drives...

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Aug 8 13:58:36 CDT 2003

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:

> I'm sure that Solaris and Mac OS can be set up to be as functional from
> a boot CD as Knoppix.  But, Solaris and Mac OS tend to run only on
> machines that mostly have a sane OS on them (except for Solaris/x86, or
> course), so what would be the point?

MacOS can be completely run off a CD-ROM.  At least, versions 9 and
earlier.  10 and later require a bit more work.  Solaris can be
configured to do so, also.  Even Windows NT can be fully-functional run
from the CD-ROM, as show by Dell's OpenManage CDs for their PowerEdge
server line.

My point is that this idea is not new.  It is, in fact, identical to
booting a read-only image of the OS and environment over the network
to diskless clients.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "We're Texans.  We figure out ways to do these
Elgin, TX          (    things..."                    --Bill Bradford