[rescue] What to do with those USB "pen" drives...

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Fri Aug 8 08:08:24 CDT 2003

On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 08:22:57PM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> > and run from CDrom OSs
>
> Solaris does this.  Mac OS does this.

I'm sure that Solaris and Mac OS can be set up to be as functional from
a boot CD as Knoppix.  But, Solaris and Mac OS tend to run only on
machines that mostly have a sane OS on them (except for Solaris/x86, or
course), so what would be the point?  With Knoppix, I can temporarily
convert a PC into something saner, that happens to be linux now.

Now, one could set up a special Solaris Boot CD to do the same for x86,
but a) I don't think you could redistribute it to people who want a
simple download and burn solution, and b) hardware compatibility is
likely to be a huge problem.