[rescue] Total corporate madness (

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Thu Aug 7 16:46:30 CDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 12:07:44AM +0300, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> > Nope.  But it could just be because I'm in a bad mood as well.  My boss
> > told me to type a command, that had the effect of wiping out a .c file
>
> IMHO the best way to deal with these things is to put an old slow computer
> in a corner of the office, stick a huge hard drive on it and rsync your home
> directory with the nodelete option to it once a day, say 4am.
>
> That way if you delete a file, you can just go the "hot backup" and there
> it is.

What I want to have completed is a big linux server (NetBSD or FreeBSD
would also be an option, but linux would probably be the easiest to get
accepted) that has mirrored drives (unlikely), several hundred gigs of
disk space, and takes nightly rsyncs from the other linux boxes, acts as
a CVS server, acts as a bugzilla server, and does differential backups
(or what ever it is where it backs up whatever has changed since the
last complete backup, so you only need to sets of tape, rather than
every set of tape since the last complete backup).

And, we probably will get that, in a few months hopefully.  For now,
there are no extra machines, there is little extra budget, and I'm
trying to remeber to make my own backups.