[rescue] Total corporate madness (

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Aug 7 16:21:33 CDT 2003

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:

> I don't really know how to do more than check out and check in, and
> nobody has provided any more structure to work in either.

Do you do commits frequently?  Rather than reconstruct the file, you
could check out the module in a separate directory and copy the
last-committed version over.

> No, I just can't figure out how to make changes in the overly complex
> makefiles,

Autoconf makefiles are slowly gettins -almost- as nasty as imake-
generated Makefiles

> and I can't figure out how to change configure script.

./configure is just a shell script.  If you want to get brave, you can
edit configure.in (it's an m4 file) and rerun autoconf/autoake.

> If I had time, I'd rip out autoconf all together and make handmade
> files since this is an internal tool anyway.

If it only runs on one platform, that may be a good idea, but at least
autoconf encourages you to do things in a platform-neutral way.

> As it is, I've been removing reliance on #defines built dynamically
> by autoconf.

It's just my opinion, but I think this sounds like a step backwards.  In
the worst case, you can hand-hack config.h to make it reflect the system
it's being used on.

> Remember, these are tools one learns at the school I went to, so I'm
> learning them as I have time and/or need.  Generally, I lack the time.

Have you seen the autobook?

  http://sources.redhat.com/autobook/

Click the link that says "online" for the full text of the book.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "We're Texans.  We figure out ways to do these
Elgin, TX          (    things..."                    --Bill Bradford