[rescue] Total corporate madness (

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Thu Aug 7 10:46:45 CDT 2003

On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 11:37:45AM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   I really dig CPLDs so far.  I'm going to try some FPGA stuff soon (I
> have an Xess board that I'm dicking with) to become more familiar with
> the capabilities and tools, though I don't anticipate using any FPGAs
> in my current "job" work, but I might do some bigger personal stuff
> with them.  Some of which I might just want to draft you for, as a
> matter of fact!

FPGAs might have application for your current job.  If you were willing
to switch CPUs, you could roll your CPU, and much of your support logic
into one $25 FPGA.  Of course, maybe that still isn't practical for you.

BTW, have you looked at the Hitachi H8?  25mhz 16/32 bit risc, built in
ram and flash, with the ability to address outside packages as well,
able to run ECOS, etc, all for about $4 per/chip.  I like the look of
that chip myself.  I kinda wish I could find a CPU with a built in
ethernet controller though.  I think that would be ideal for what I
personally want to do.  But, I haven't looked at all the various H8
packages yet either.