[rescue] Total corporate madness (

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Aug 7 10:37:45 CDT 2003

On Thursday, August 7, 2003, at 02:50 AM, Francisco Javier
Mesa-Martinez wrote:
>>    I've been dicking with Xilinx XC9500-family CPLDs recently for work
>> stuff.  It's my first real foray into programmable logic aside from
>> PALs a decade ago...wow what a difference!  This stuff is *cool*.
>
> Well, if you just moved from PALs, an FPGA is a totally differnet
> world.
> The problem is making them go fast :(, Which is the hell hole I am in
> right now (100Mhz target design)

   Well all my hardware work has been personal projects for the past ten
years or so, up until ~2 years ago when I started doing it full-time
for work (though still physically at home)...so up until recently it's
just been lots of microcontrollers and 7400-series logic.

   I really dig CPLDs so far.  I'm going to try some FPGA stuff soon (I
have an Xess board that I'm dicking with) to become more familiar with
the capabilities and tools, though I don't anticipate using any FPGAs
in my current "job" work, but I might do some bigger personal stuff
with them.  Some of which I might just want to draft you for, as a
matter of fact!

          -Dave