[rescue] Total corporate madness (

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Wed Aug 6 14:56:41 CDT 2003

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 09:44:27PM +0200, Frank Van Damme wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 August 2003 20:53, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> > Yes, but a well-designed system should be able to have IDE, SCSI, or
> > FC-AL ports internally.  One model for each.
>
> Sounds like a needlessly expensive solution. Someone who buys an appliance
> needs the cost and performance of ide, OR the cost and performance of scsi,
> OR the cost and performance of fc-al.

I don't know.  One maybe could use 3 connectors and an FPGA.  Load
different software to the FPGA based on the connector to be used.
Connectors aren't too expensive, and FPGAs are cheap (don't know how
good they are as disk controllers though, to be honest).

> It IS a nice idea though. I'd love one. Actually, I'd learn to write cgi
> scripts just to write a webbased configuration screen for it :-)

Maybe what we should start with is a customized NetBSD distro for Sparc
and x86, and move from there to a proper appliance?