[rescue] Anybody remember MFM? (Durango Poppy II problem)

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Wed Aug 6 09:40:15 CDT 2003

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
> In the SASI and early SCSI days, the common thing to do was to have
> a SASI (or later SCSI) host interface and a bridge controller to MFM,
> RLL, or ESDI.  When SASI and early SCSI came through there were little
> to no SASI/SCSI devices.... as time went on, the way of the bridge
> controller went away and was replaced with the electronics on the
> devices.

I had an adaptec controler like that on a CP/M system. The hard disk
it self was the definitve MFM drive, the st506. (5 meg).

If you remember the size of CP/M binaries, 5m was incredably huge.

You could fit all of Wordstar and a few documents on a 120k floppy.

Never having seen a Sun older than a Sun 3, the ones I saw all had
SCSI drives, though the tape drives often had SCSI to QIC-36 or
QIC-02 bridge controllers, and I saw SCSI to ESDI bridge controllers,
but never in use.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com 972-54-608-069