[rescue] KVM and Sunfire 280r

Steve Sandau ssandau at bath.tmac.com
Sun Apr 27 16:10:23 CDT 2003

>>> What...?  You say this is an Oracle server. This machine has
>>> no business having a monitor and keyboard attached to it.
>>>
>>    To be fair, the Oracle installer won't run without a local graphical
>> console. That's why I have headed database servers, too.
>

>   A *local* graphical console?  As in, it's an X client that can somehow
> check to see if its X traffic is running through a UNIX-domain socket
> (like /tmp/X0) vs. a TCP connection?

Starting with Oracle 8i, I think (the 8.1.x releases) the installer is a
java GUI. You can telnet in and export your display. I have done that.
The only way to do a non-GUI install is to do an unattended install with
some type of "answers file" or something.

I liked the old version that would allow you to chooses curses-based or
GUI. It was *much* faster and much more flexible.

Steve